15 Sep Benefits of Cupping
Benefits of Cupping: Cupping therapy is a form of treatment used by ancients to treat a wide range of medical conditions. Cupping has been in practice for years by various societies. Back then scientific research was limited therefore its exact mechanism of action is not well understood yet. In recent times cupping therapy has resurfaced and several studies are being conducted on its mechanisms and benefits.
Pain is the most common complaint that brings people to seek alternative options for pain control. The alternatives might be massage, hypnosis, and acupuncture. This writing will cover the benefits and related information of cupping therapy.
Types of Cupping Therapy
There are many types of cupping, but the most important ones are
- Dry cupping
- In dry cupping, the cups suck the skin inside them to create a vacuum. That’s why skin remains intact.
- Wet cupping
- In wet cupping, cuts are created to suck the blood from them via vacuum cups.
The technique of cupping therapy
- Cupping is a simple and quick process, multiple cups are used at the site of interest e.g painful area
- Cupping therapy requires multiple sessions and an average session would take about 20 minutes.
- Before applying cups the acupuncturist will identify the area and disinfect it.
- After that he will select cups of adequate size and remove air via flame. Then he will apply it directly to the desired skin area to generate suction.
- These cups will stay for about 5 minutes. Then the acupuncturist will again create a vacuum and place it in a different site.
- After repeating this 3 to 5 times, he will apply dressing or tape accordingly.
What are the Benefits?
Although its exact mechanism is unknown, there is proven evidence that cupping therapy can give relaxation and control pain. There are many benefits for cupping therapy but some of the important ones are:
- Cupping improves the overall quality of life via reducing pain and releasing muscle tension.
- Cupping enhances and improves the flow of blood to the skin and nearby organs.
- It speeds up the removal of toxins from the body to enhance recovery.
- Cupping therapy helps eliminate abnormal substances from the skin’s blood so it maintains its natural functioning and glows.
- It can also reduce the lousy quality cholesterol from the body that’s why it can reduce cardiovascular disease e.g heart attack and stroke.
- It reduces pain symptoms by relaxing muscles and blood vessels. It modulates the pain-producing substance p.
- It improves digestion and stimulates hunger.
- It can reduce blood pressure and boost the immune system.
- Cupping prevents toxins from building up inside the body hence improving systems.
Indications and contradictions
Generally, cupping therapy is considered safe and recommended for headaches, lower back pain, generalized body pains, cyclic pain, and muscle tension. If a patient is suffering from hypertension, bony problems, or psychological issues he may benefit from it.
Cupping therapy should not be done in certain patients or conditions e.g:
- Terminally ill patients
- Old and pediatric patients
- Pregnant ladies
- Burn or an open wound
- Patient taking blood thinners
Cupping is an ancient technique that involves placing cups over skin to generate suctions. This negative suction pulls the obnoxious substances from the blood, improves its flow, boosts the immune system, reduces pain threshold, and improves the overall quality of life. Recently it gained attention, and multiple studies are being conducted about its results.
Try Cupping at Peak Life Acupuncture. We are professionally trained to help you with all your acupuncture and cupping needs. Call us at (818) 823-6721 for a free consultation and our experts will help you to choose the right package for your needs.