15 Dec Acupuncture For Carpal Tunnel
Acupuncture For Carpal Tunnel: Nerves are the structures that carry out movement and sensation from parts of the body to the brain and vice versa. The median nerve is one of the peripheral nerves that control the movement and sensations of the lateral three fingers of the hand. If the median nerve is compressed for any reason, then it may result in numbness, pain, and burning sensation along its supply areas. So, carpal tunnel syndrome is the sum of all signs or symptoms that emerge due to median nerve compromise.
In the general population of the USA, the incidence of carpal tunnel syndrome is 1-3 cases per 1000 per year. It tends to occur in females more than males in their 5th or 6th decade of life. Rest assured carpal tunnel syndrome is not associated with mortality but can cause troublesome symptoms due to the loss of function of hand muscles. Proper treatment prevents irreversible damage to the median nerve, and acupuncture for carpal tunnel syndrome is one of the non-invasive treatment options. This article covers a brief review of carpal tunnel syndrome and its management. Acupuncture for carpal tunnel is minimally invasive with almost no side effects.
Causes And Risk Factors Of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
There is a fibrous band-like structure near the wrists through which the median nerve and other muscles of the hand pass through. Anything that interferes with this band or tunnel-like structure may lead to increased pressure and median nerve compression ultimately. The development of carpal tunnel syndrome is linked to multiple factors that may be genetic, medical, or local. The significant risk factors associated with carpal tunnel syndrome are the following:
- The traumatic event leading to the dislocation of the wrist joint
- Working with high vibrations tools
- Female gender
- Diabetes mellitus
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Taking some medication that alters the band growth
- Using technology devices e.g computers for a longer period
Signs And Symptoms Of Carpal Tunnel
The signs and symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome are the following:
- The most common complaint that patients express is abnormal sensations in the thumb and index finger. They complain that their hands fall asleep or they feel shock-like sensations.
- These complaints may be episodic and associated with certain tasks e.g driving
- Pain along the wrist or in the forearm
- Numbness in the lateral hand area
- Loss of muscle mass near thumb base
- Change in sensitivity to temperature
- Difficulty in holding objects
Diagnosis And Management Of Carpal Tunnel
Your healthcare provider will take your history and examine the affected hand. Usually, laboratory tests and imaging are not advised unless the cause of carpal tunnel syndrome is a systemic disease. MRI of the hand may be useful in certain cases.
Depending on the severity, cause, and overall condition following are the management options for carpal tunnel syndrome:
- General care
- It involves general care of the affected hand e.g removing stress and applying splints
- Make sure to work in a comfortable environment.
- Acupuncture for carpal tunnel syndrome
- Medical care
- It involves the treatment of underlying causes e.g diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Steroid injections
- Surgical correction is the last resort.
Acupuncture For Carpal Tunnel
Acupuncture is a form of Chinese medicine, and has been used as an additional therapy for a variety of conditions. Acupuncture for carpal tunnel syndrome is the process of inserting microneedles into different strategic points on the body. Acupuncture is a form of therapy that is non-invasive, easily tolerated, and with fewer side effects. During the procedure, tiny needles are used to stimulate ligaments, muscles, and nerves to perform their functions at an optimal capacity. The ancient medical experts gave the idea of points for acupuncture. They proposed that the human body has plenty of sensitive points which are interconnected and play an important role in overall health.
Multiple studies on acupuncture are being conducted, one study on acupuncture for carpal tunnel syndrome reveals that acupuncture improves symptoms and gripping strength in patients. Acupuncture for carpal tunnel syndrome is a way to go if they can’t tolerate the medical therapy or invasive procedures due to their side effects. Patients with carpal tunnel syndrome can avail of acupuncture services from our expert acupuncturists.
We are professionally trained at Peak Life Acupuncture to help you with all your acupuncture needs. Call us at (818) 823-6721